Franciscan Ceramics was the dinnerware line of Gladding-McBean & Co., established in 1934 at the GMcB plant in Glendale CA. Franciscan dinnerware from this period is characterized by modern, organic shapes, intense color glazes and hand-painted decoration. From 1941-79, the company also produced a fine china line called Masterpiece China. Their medium-weight informal china line called Discovery was introduced in 1958 and produced through 1975. In the 1960s-70s, various earthenware lines supplemented their more traditional hand-painted wares. Franciscan Ceramics was sold to the Interpace Corporation in 1962, and later to Josiah Wedgwood & Sons Ltd. of England in 1979. Wedgwood closed the California plant in 1984, but still produces certain Franciscan patterns in England today. All our Franciscan ware was made in California, except for some of the Discovery line which was made in Japan.